The Aging & Wellness Institute offers engaging nutrition classes led by a registered dietitian nutritionist, ranging in topic from nutrition core concepts, to cooking demonstrations, recipes, and science and research in the news. Also offered are series classes including an 8-week weight management program (information below), and one-on-one personalized nutrition counseling- all included in membership! The nutrition class schedule is available on the AWI monthly calendar (click here to download a copy). Get to know our registered dietitian nutritionist on the leadership page!
Why see a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist?
Whether you received a new health diagnosis, want to lose weight or lower your blood pressure, or want help managing your diabetes, our registered dietitian nutritionist can guide you through adjustments to your diet and lifestyle using small, easy to manage steps.
What a dietitian can do:
- Provide reliable nutrition information backed by science
- Create a nutrition plan based on your health condition or goals featuring small, manageable steps
- Interpret and explain nutrition-related blood tests from your doctor
- Correct nutritional deficiencies
- Set realistic goals to maximize achievement
- Work together to develop a plan for blood sugar and diabetes management
Is there a difference between a Registered Dietitian (RD) and a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN)?
No. A registered dietitian is the original title of a person in this career, however in 2013 the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics expanded the title to include “nutritionist”. This was done to help patients and consumers better understand the expertise RDNs provide, including therapeutic diet planning, nutrition counseling, and practical nutrition application.
AWI Members: FREE. Nutrition counseling is a benefit of membership. (number of follow up sessions may be limited)
Non-Members: $200, includes initial nutrition assessment (60-minutes), and three (3) 30-minute follow up sessions. Must be completed within two months of package purchase.
AWI subsidizes the cost of Registered Dietitian services for members through internal resources, grants, and donations.
Click to schedule an appointment with the Dietitian today!
“An 8-week challenge to build and practice skills for long term weight management.”
“The scale just won’t budge!”
Does this sound familiar? Achieving long-term weight management can be a difficult and confusing journey in the current food environment. The weight management program at AWI can help you navigate this food landscape, developing skills along the way in intuitive eating, portion sizing, optimizing food choice for nutrition and health, and staying physically active in new and creative ways. Weight management is not just about weight loss, it is about developing the skills and knowledge needed to take control of meal planning, ensure proper nutrition, and prevent weight gain in the years to come. Obesity is associated with increased risk of type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, and some cancers (1). Excess weight also increases stress on the joints and can make movement more difficult. Over the course of this 8-week program, you will learn how to apply the nutrition concepts discussed in each session to your own life, all the while enjoying group discussion and support with the other members.
Read on to discover more about this dynamic and comprehensive program, and how you can benefit from joining the next session!
1 Khaodhiar L, KC McCowen, GL Blackbun. Obesity and its comorbid conditions. Clinical Cornerstone, 199; 2(3)17-31.
- Group sessions with review of a different nutrition concept each week
- Increased accountability through weekly check-ins with registered dietitian
- One-on-one support available
Education & Practice
- Cover nutrition fundamentals as they relate to weight management
- Different topic covered each week, to include eating out, portion sizing, hidden calories, added sugars, label reading, recipes and more
- Practical application of concepts in class and through an “Action Plan” for each week
Journaling & Food Tracking
- Food journal provided to each participant at the start of the program to track food and to support progress
- Food journal review available by- or with- registered dietitian
- Ability to tailor journaling experience to best method suited to you
AWI Members: FREE (advanced registration required)