Relaxation is a process that decreases the effects of stress on your mind and body. Relaxation techniques can reduce stress symptoms and in turn, help to lower blood pressure. Furthermore, relaxation can help you enjoy a better quality of life. Learning basic relaxation techniques is easy. Relaxation techniques also are often free, low risk, and easy to do just about anywhere.
Here are just a few benefits of relaxation techniques:
- Slowing your heart rate
- Lowering blood pressure
- Slowing your breathing rate
- Reducing activity of stress hormones
- Increasing blood flow to major muscles
- Reducing muscle tension and chronic pain
- Improving concentration and mood
- Lowering fatigue
- Reducing anger and frustration
- Boosting confidence to handle problems
You will find practical suggestions for making a few simple lifestyle changes and the tools for making those changes in The Relaxation Recipe, which includes breathing, sleep, meditation and stress trigger management. But remember that relaxation techniques are skills. As with any skill, your ability increases with practice. Be patient with yourself. Don’t let practicing your relaxation techniques become a stressor.